Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade Andy Wade is offline

Default Question about mounting aeriels.

tony sayer wrote:

In article , Andy Luckman
(AJL Electronics) writes

I couldn't quite identify it from the picture. Claims to be branded Labgear.
However, they don't exist any more. Nearest I can think of is a Blake, but
the connector box is more like a cheap copy of the Triax.

Reckon Andy Wade could comment on that!..

Well Philex do sell Labgear branded product, trading as their "Labgear
Division." They bought back the trade mark and some other assets after
Labgear Ltd. went into administration in 2004. I can't comment on the
aerial in question, although the chances are that it's imported.

Actually they're being unusually honest in quoting the gain spread
across the band. The gain of all so-called 'wideband yagi' types is
quite low at ch. 21 - these aerials really work as yagis at the HF end
of the band and as corner reflectors at the LF end, hence the need for
the large reflector. It's quite instructive to look at the gain
requirements for the various 'benchmark' standards of the CAI/DTG aerial
benchmarking scheme, which you can find in
http://www.dtg.org.uk/publications/b...rk_aerials.pdf

For wideband (Group W) aerials the gain requirements over ch. 21-36 are
as follows:

- std. 1 10 dBd (only one product approved in this category)
- std. 2 7 dBd
- std. 3 5 dBd
- std. 4 7 dBd (log-periodics)

So all the std. 3 benchmarked products (including the Unix 32W) will
only just exceed 5 dBd in the lower Group A channels. Most
manufacturers only publish the gain at the top end of the band, which of
course looks much better :-). If you don't need the extra gain at the
HF end then the std. 4 log-periodics are a good bet - much smaller and
less windage, and the gain is not drastically lower in the way some
people seem to assume.

And don't for get the CT100 for the aerial downlead;!....

WF100 please!

Quite agree.

Yep tho I didn't want to complicate the issue. Is WF100 as widely
available as CT100 then?....

It's certainly readily available. E.g. there's always a few reels in
stock at a certain establishment on Mitcham's Corner...

--
Andy