Posted to alt.home.repair
Cando Cando is offline

Default Ceramic Tile for small vanity

We have built a small powder room and purchased an older piece of
furniture to use for the vanity. It has a top with a sink cut-out. In
addition a friend has made a 3/4" plywood top (with a cut-out for a
sink) to be screwed on, from the bottom up. The sink is self-rimming
and will sit on top of the tiles.From all that I have been reading it
is not good policy to use ceramic tile directly on plywood. However in
this case we are talking about a very small area. The finished top will
only be 38" side to side (long) and 20" front to back, at it's widest
point. The vanity is curved on the front but will sit flat against the
wall. As a powder room it will not get lots of traffic. I am going to
use 1 3/4" tiles already on a sheet and would like to keep this project
as simple as possible.Is there a way I can put the thinset directly
onto the plywood or a way that I can seal the plywood to make it
possible to eliminate having to use another underlayment?I'll save my
second question for later.Thanks