Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] bridgerfafc@yahoo.com is offline

Default Hollowing out telegraph poles

"TrailRat" wrote:

A friend of mine....
It's costing him a small fortune but he's not concerned about that.....

how do I hollow out 10 x 10' telegraph pole without
splitting them down the middle.

Doug Houseman wrote:
http://www.scmgroup.com/private/bin/...ionid=CPBBGDOC
PJLC?categoria=06&codice=Author+912+-+924&locale=en&marchioId=MORBIDELLI&
subcategoria=32

nah, that machine is for drilling lots of small holes in sheets of
particle board very quickly. it won't drill the hole the OP is asking
for.

I'd look at other approaches to concealing the pipe. for instance, this
sort of thing is done all of the time for zoos and museums, where
mechanical equipment has to be concealed from the public. a lot of the
time the approach used is to build a replica of the telegraph pole (or
tree, or rock or whatever) in steel reinforced concrete. very good
weather resistance and total flexibility as to appearance. really. I'd
present it to your friend not as a fake telegraph pole but as a garden
sculpture, and encourage him to allow the people who build the thing to
be part of the design process. approached right it could be a fun
project for all involved. I see you're in the UK, so I won't link to
any of the contractors on this side of the pond. look for somebody
somewhat local- easier to keep an open process and puts the money back
into your own community, as it were.