Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Hollowing out telegraph poles

TrailRat wrote:
A friend of mine is having a huge underground bunker style room put
into his garden. It will be the length + width of his garden and will
be buried under 2' of soil. It will be connected to his bungalow for
access and will be used as a workshop for his various hobbies.
It's costing him a small fortune but he's not concerned about that.
The civil engineering firm will build the structure and top it of with
soil but everything else he has to do himself. This is where I came
in. He had concerns about getting natural light in over his
workbenches and I recommended sunlight pipes. He had a look at them
and liked what he saw. Now the problem is he doesn't want little
clear domes over his lawn so he is raising the domes 8' and having
long sunlight pipes. The company has assured him that the pipes will
still work over the 11' distance.
So after putting my foot in my mouth, my mate has told me that to hide
the ugly silver ducting he want to encase them in old telegraph poles.
To do so they need to be hollowed down the middle and these poles are
all 10' long. I've told him that the easiest way would be to split
them in half and channel out the waste then put the two halves
together with the ducting in the middle. But he doesn't like the fact
that spilt might be seeable and may cause concerns later on.
He has told me that no matter the expense, he'll hire whatever
equipment I need to hollow these poles out if there is another way to
do it other than splitting it.

So my quandry is how do I hollow out 10 x 10' telegraph pole without
splitting them down the middle.
If there is no other feasible way then my friend is willing to see
sense and relenquish the decision to me.

Well drilling rig

Be better and cheaper just to glue up planks (hollow center) and round the
outside.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...