Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname yourname is offline

Default Narrower alternative to stud wall (interior nonbearing)?

wrote:
Thanks for the input, folks - and I'm glad to see replies that don't
include the words "You're insane". Good to see the electrical box is
still an option.
Re water damage, I guess I'm a little paranoid just now. The plastic
tub surround in there is cracking in spots, and it's backed with
green-paper gypsum board, not quite up to cement board. What's more,
the supply line connector into the toilet broke last week, flooding the
bathroom and adjacent room floors. Thankfully homeowner's insurance
will cover repair expenses (after a fat deductable), but things are
going to be upside-down here for a while. Maybe I should bite the
bullet and start this job while the place is taken apart.

VMacek

If you could steal an inch from both sides, it would leave the drain
where it is and probably allow you to rip an inch off the 2x4s above the
tub[below it isn't required] and construct the same style wall. You
could probably even cheat a little and recess the tub into the wall to
the finish overlaps a bit more than normal and no one would notice.

If you look at the other side of the wall much I would be wary of the
wall warping with 2x4 sideways. If it is a closet or something, who cares?