Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any way of cleaning a hepa filter?

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote in message
Is there any way of cleaning a hepa filter? I have an astronomically
expensive vacuum with an equally expensive filter which is perhaps an inch
thick. It has developed a black layer, possibly a tenth of a millimeter
thin on the underside, which I suppose is all the microscopic particles it
is supposed to have stopped being thrown out into the atmosphere. I have a
strong suspicion that if I can get it off I can use the filter at almost
maximum efficiency for a while longer before I have to replace it.

Can it be scraped off effectively or put in a dishwasher like sponges
sometimes need before you chuck them away? Or brushed with baking soda or
something like that?

Or will just cleaning it with warm or boiling water do a reasonable job?

What is the filter media? Many are paper and woven fiber and will just fall
apart when wet. Scraping can close up the openings and block stuff and burn
out that overpriced vacuum cleaner.