Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Scottie Scottie is offline

Default Gamecube Diagnosis

Hi,

I'm hoping that I can get an educated opinion on this before I purchase
a replacement part!

My sons' 3 year old Gamecube has finally stopped reading game discs.
Over the past year or so, I've kept the machine going by opening it up
and adjusting the potentiometer which I think adjusts the laser gain
(http://www.consoleworkshop.co.uk/dow...t%20tweak.htm).

Unfortunately, the Gamecube was taken on a road trip (unbenounced to
myself or my wife) when the kids smuggled it into one of our suitcases!
Lo and behold, it no longer reads game discs - in fact, it didn't even
spin the disc at first. I performed the usual tweak and got it to at
least spin the disc. It looks like the laser is successfully
calibrating: moves lens up and down, moves parallel across the disc to
the bootstrap track, and makes a beep noise (I'm presuming this is an
indication that the laser has completed calibration, but I could be
wrong - it always made this noise). After this promising activity
however it doesn't appear to be able to read any more of the disc.

I'm thinking it's time to get a replacement laser assembly; that
something may be wrong with the servo mechanism. What is puzzling to
me is how it appears to successfully calibrate if this is the case.

Thanks,
Scottie