Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D Dave D is offline

Default Testing an Electric Blanket

"Bill Jeffrey" wrote in message
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Not really electronics, I know, but I'm hoping some one can throw me a
pointer. I'd like to test for both safety and shorts/opens/too much
resistance. The only thing I could find on the web is safety testing
by electric utilities.

Any DIY help would be appreciated.

Put a GFCI receptacle in where you plug this blanket in.

I'm not sure a GFI would do any good.

Of course it would, provided the victim had a path to ground, ie through the
bed itself..

All electric blankets I have ever seen are two-wire devices, and there is
no ground in or around the blanket. No ground = no ground fault = happy
GFI.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but AIUI here in the UK such safety
devices work by detecting an inconsistency between live current and neutral
current, which would indicate some current is flowing to earth, either
through a human being or other fault condition. It works just as well for
two wire as three wire devices, and in fact the device doesn't care or know
one way or the other.

Dave