Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
perrancott perrancott is offline

Default Tree Pruning

John wrote:
Not DIY I know but you guys seem to have a good knowledge of most things.
My neighbour has a tall Birch tree (30' plus) in his garden. The problem is
quite a bit of it overhangs into my garden and blocks the sun, some may say
good in this weather! I get on reasonably well with him so don't want to
'muddy the water'. If we have it pruned who pays, him cos it's his tree, me
cos it's over my garden or both as it affects us both. I do not mind all
the arranging of it etc but would he be expected to contribute. I realise I
would have to get his permission first. Any thoughts? BTW he is a
pensioner but doesn't seem to be struggling financially or healthwise.

Cheers

John

You can cut both branches and roots that intrude into your garden but
you are liable if the tree is unbalanced and falls. You have to offer
the trimmings to your neighbours but if they do not want them you have
to dispose of them.

It is best to talk to the neighbours about it first. We had trouble
with a very large ash tree that was knocking on our windows and making
the back of the house very dark. The neighbours were not very friendly
so we did not want to approach them. The cost of trimming it would
have been high so we kept putting it off. Luckily the house was sold.
We told our new neighbours about the problems with the tree and they
said it was causing problems for them too. They cut the tree down soon
afterwards.