Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
[email protected] BigELilE05@msn.com is offline

Default Removing Hot Air from Vaulted Ceiling

mm wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 00:45:53 -0500, JimL wrote:

A couple of points.
1. If at all possible, leave the heated air in your vaulted
ceilings. No fans are anything to disturb the hot air. It is where
it should stay. The temp below can be 5 degrees cooler if you don't
disturb it.

That's what I thought. The fans are good in the winter, to blow the
hot air from the top of the room down to where you are, but in the
summer doing that just makes one hotter. Right?

Wrong. Ceiling fans blowing downward, with the AC running is always
going to feel cooler. Your AC vents are either located high up on the
wall or in the ceiling. So when the AC is blowing, the cool air is
going to blow above the fan creating a "cool breeze" effect. Fans on
vaulted ceilings should hang about 8ft from the floor.

There is a slight breeze from slow ceiling fans, but a better breeze
is created by a table fan that blows low altitude cool air on you,
rather than ceiling level hot air.

With a good fan you get much more than a slight breeze. I suggest "The
Hunter Original" 56" fan for the larger rooms.

I've owned 3 houses with vaulted ceilings and the "Hunter Original" is
the only fans I have ever used in the larger rooms.