Posted to uk.d-i-y
Edgar Iredale Edgar Iredale is offline

Default what are those poles called?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Edgar Iredale writes:
It's odd that I've not seen the Acrow name around for years except in
connection with their props. Yet once it seemed so well known that I
can still remember the way the printed it with a small "A" tapering
out to a big "W". I can't remember what they did though. Was it tool
making for construction and tool hire?

Acrow props were invented by William de Vigier. He didn't think
his own name was suitable for marketing a product, and it came
near the end of any alphabetical listing, so he used his lawyers
name, A Crowe, to market his company's products.
William de Vigier died only last year.

Thanks. Interesting.

Edgar