Eric Pederson

Default Dimmer switch on a ceilling fan controlled at one wall switch

CME wrote:

I dont know if this the place to post but I have a question.

I have a ceiling fan with lights built into as one unit in the home dining
room, the fan/lights, each have there own pull string controls, for the
light on/off. the fan has a forward/reverse pull string control and
variable speed pull string 3 speeds I think on a pull string. There is also
one wall mounted switch controlled by a dimmer.

My question is it safe to use a dimmer switch or is it better to use a
typical on /off switch? Something tells me that I should be using a on/off
switch verses a dimmer as this would fry the fan if it was not on full
power, or cause house fire at the switch box.
Being a novice can someone tell me the SAFE way to solve this problem. As
the dimmer thats there is now burnt, I bought the house with a dimmer there.

I never run the fan but did use the dimmer to control light brigthness.

Any help appreciated.

Light dimmers do not handle inductive (motor) loads well. Short of
rewiring, there are wireless control units available. One unit replaces
the wall switch, and the other is wired ahead of the fan and lights.
One "advantage" to these is that a handheld remote can also be used
to control the light and fan.