Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design

In article , says...
We've got a number of knives that live on the counter top. It's driving
me crazy, but I don't allow them in the drawers. Some are very good knives,
and very sharp. Do you guys have any interesting design ideas I could
scarf?

I recently built one by turning a 6" drum on the lathe, then put the drum under
the radial arm saw and cut slots for the knives. Glued inserts into the outside
of the slots, back on the lathe to turn it smooth, varnished, disk of felt
underneath. Didn't bother with an angled stand, but that could be done to
taste.
Works a treat for us.

-P.