Posted to alt.home.repair
Felony Bob Felony Bob is offline

Default Kitchen Cabinet Choices

wrote in message
ups.com...
Finally going to re-do my kitchen, but the choices and information is
overwhelming. I'm trying to avoid dealing with Home Depot and Lowes.
From what I'm reading in the forums they have a poor record. Although I

might still get a ballpark curiosity quote from them.

I've had one quote from Sears so far for $13K, would have been $12k if
we went to contract that day for a 9x11 galley kitchen, corian counter,
no fancy cabs . I'm glad we didn't sign up. It was our first visit, and
we knew nothing. Not saying they're bad, I just have lots more
questions now then I did that night.

In any event, as I'm trying to work with local companies, my problem is
comparing apples to apples with the different lines they carry. Some do
carry the KraftMaid and Merrilat. Others have Aristocraft, Brandom,
CustomCraft, UltraCraft, Shiloh, and Medallion. I don't know any thing
about these lines (not that I know anything about the others either),
or how to compare them. I can't seem to locate anything on most of
them. Also if, a company doesn't carry the standard big guns like
KraftMaid etc., does that mean anything?

I just want a decent cabinet, not top of the line. The kids are grown,
so no-one is running into them, slamming or swinging from them. And the
way I see it, my cheap builder-supplied ones have held up fine for 10
years (they're just ugly as heck), so anything I get should be a lot
better. But I still don't want to get poor quality.

Can anyone help me in comparing the quotes when they come in, and
quality, what to look for etc. And if I do get a quote from Lowes or
HD, any suggestions on their products to compare with.

Also, after reading some comments, I decided to get a quote from a
local custom-cabinet guy next week. From what I understand it may not
be as expensive as I thought it would be. But, besides knowing he is
listed with NKBA--which is how I found him-- I know nothing about his
work. There is no show room to go in and push and pull drawers, see
work etc. Any advice on this avenue would be much appreciated. I don't
know many people who have re-done their kitchen using anyone but Lowe's
and HD so I'm searching without recommendations.

Deborah

The "today only" $12k pricing will be good if you decide to call them back--
in fact, offer them $10.5 and they'll counter with $11. Take that-- if
they'll agree to throw in a few of the ups/extras they tried to talk you
into for an additions $2k ;-)

Bob