Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default AC window unit keeps blowing fuses

nycknayme wrote:

Hello all. I'll try to make this brief, but I doubt such a thing is
possible.

I have a Whirlpool 24,000 BTU window unit that cools my whole house.
I've had it for a couple of years, and it's worked brilliantly up until
now. About a month ago, it started blowing fuses; it's an old house,
still have old electrical system, fuse boxes, etc. At the time, the
temp outside was mid-80's, so it's not like it was having to work
overtime to cool things down. Anyway, I replaced the fuse, and about a
week later, same thing happened. The problem escalated over the next
two weeks, finally had to call a repairman.

He checked it out, said he couldn't find anything wrong with it either
mechanically or electrically--the unit has its own 20 amp circuit, and
at peak operating time was only drawing maybe 12 amps.

SNIP

I assume you are already using some type of "Slow Blow" time Delay fuse.

Often, those old fuse holders OR the wire terminals will generate
enough heat due to resistance that the fuse will blow from
conducted heat rather than excessive Amp draw.

Look for discoloration of the fuse contacts or the lugs for
the wire termination. If this is indeed the problem, it may
take some kind of fuse/breaker replacement to solve.

Jim