Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pawlowsk002@gannon.edu is offline

Default SE cable, conduit protected...and other electrical service remarks.

RBM (remove this) wrote:
I would think they should allow you to fill the entrance condulet with
silicone to exclude water. Are there no electrical supply houses in your
area?

RBM:

Yup, there are. I just found out that Graybar could order XHHW
or THWN-insulated 2/0 Cu for me from their Cleveland office...
(@ $2.95 per foot, vs. $1.10 for Al, ooooh the pain...)
but believe it or not, they're the only ones I can find. This is a
strictly Al SEU-serviced town, as far as homes are concerned.
I am going to end up looking a proper chump for using copper
in conduit. Copper SEU cable of any kind is unobtainable locally
even from Graybar.

I keep running into funny stuff like this. The local utility's
standards
literature demands an insulator fixed to the house structure with a
5/8" bolt and nut...got plenty of weird looks asking for anything like
that, so I called up ye power company that be and was told that
the usual screw-in insulator is fine. Gee, maybe they should
mention that to their engineers.

Cordially yours:
Gerard P.