Grant Erwin

Default Dimmer switch on a ceilling fan controlled at one wall switch

It depends how it's wired. If there are 4 wires going up to the unit then
the fan is completely independent of the light and you can dim the light
without the fan ever knowing it. If there are 3 wires then if you put on a
dimmer the fan motor will buzz like crazy. I would swap in a new dimmer
(the low watt ones are cheap, coupla bucks) and see if your fan buzzes. If
it does, then pull out the dimmer and replace it with a wall switch while
you consider what to do.

I had a 3-wire fan/light fixture which was undimmable. I replaced the fixture
with one which is designed to work with 3 wires and be dimmable. (The dimmer
control works like a TV remote and the dimmer itself is built into the unit.)

Grant

CME wrote:

I dont know if this the place to post but I have a question.

I have a ceiling fan with lights built into as one unit in the home dining
room, the fan/lights, each have there own pull string controls, for the
light on/off. the fan has a forward/reverse pull string control and
variable speed pull string 3 speeds I think on a pull string. There is also
one wall mounted switch controlled by a dimmer.

My question is it safe to use a dimmer switch or is it better to use a
typical on /off switch? Something tells me that I should be using a on/off
switch verses a dimmer as this would fry the fan if it was not on full
power, or cause house fire at the switch box.
Being a novice can someone tell me the SAFE way to solve this problem. As
the dimmer thats there is now burnt, I bought the house with a dimmer there.

I never run the fan but did use the dimmer to control light brigthness.

Any help appreciated.