Backlash

Default Initial fill of new Propane tank fact or fiction on purge needed

I buy butane in bulk, and add 200 millileters ethyl mercaptan to 7,500
gallons going into the bulk tank with a draft attachment for scenting. This
is to prevent contamination of the transport truck, as they haul different
varieties. I'm told by my supplier that tomato juice will kill the smell
about as quick as anything will. He related a story about an employee
accidently dropping a barrel of mercaptan from a handcart and the barrel
split. After evacuation of the area, they called in two 8,000 gallon loads
of tomato juice and sprayed all over the compound. He said the cleanup of
the juice was a bitch in and of itself.

RJ
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
... This article touches on these subjects: [odorant fade]

http://www.brucegoldfarb.com/propane.htm ...

Good article - I never knew that the odor could fade so easily.
However, it certainly is in contradiction with my experience, which is
that the ethyl mercaptan odor is damn difficult to get rid of. Although
my experience is generally with older tanks that probably have had
continuous use.

Bob