Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default what saw blade do i need?

I used a 'combo' blade'.

Also try flipping the wood over and see if you get a cleaner cut.
Worked for me.

On 28 Jul 2006 07:11:42 -0700, wrote:

steve wrote:
Hello all,
I am using a table saw to cut some laminate flooring to do my basement
stairway. I was wondering if there is a specific type of saw blade tooth
size i should use. Any suggestions?
regards,
Steve

Assuming your main issue is clean-cutting, with no tearout ...

Size has little to do with it. Contour and quality of sharpening of
teeth are critical, in addition to having blade runout ~0, and fence
precisely parallel to the blade for rips. If you must use miter gauge,
its slot must be precisely parallel the blade, of course.

There are many good books published on table saws, with much detail on
blade design, for example Ian Kirby's and Jim Tolpin's.

A quality ATB (alternate top bevel) or ATBR (alternate top bevel with
raker) or "triple-chip" would work well for laminate, with the first
two suritable for cross and rip cuts. Probably 40-tooth for relatively
general use.

I'd use a SCMS for the cross-cuts. With quality, sharp blade. Carbide
goes without saying.

There are other tricks you can resort to, to prevent tearout. Check the
books, and articles in "Fine Woodworking" and other mags.