Posted to rec.woodworking
jo_jo jo_jo is offline

Default where to buy dye for wood floors

J T wrote:
Mon, Jul 24, 2006, 11:26am (EDT-3) (jo_jo) doth
query:
snip I've read about using dyes instead of pigmented oil stains.
snip
I'm trying to get an orangish-yellow color snip

Koolaid does a very good job staining unfinished wood. Ask anyone
with kids.

JOAT
Politician \Pol`i*ti"cian\, n. Latin for career criminal

Actually, I finally found a stain - a custom orange from olympic mixed
with red mahogany from minwax (both oil based) gave me a nice warm
cinammon color, which NEITHER company offers in their premixed or
custom colors. I sanded some scrap boards and then used quick-dry
sanding sealer to feed the thirsty yellow pine, then when that was dry
I rubbed on some of the mixed stain and it went on extremely even (for
pine). Now, if I can just figure out what to finish the boards with
that will give a hand-rubbed look. Since the oil based stain takes so
long to dry, oil based poly rubbed on top of the stain actually removed
and lightened some of the stain (which was sitting on top of the
sanding sealer, I guess). Perhaps it all needs longer drying times.