Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default SE cable, conduit protected...and other electrical service remarks.

I would think they should allow you to fill the entrance condulet with
silicone to exclude water. Are there no electrical supply houses in your
area?
wrote in message
ups.com...

RBM (remove this) wrote:
While you certainly need to adhere to the AHJ in your local, but,
personally
I'd use a 2" pvc standpipe into the meter and 2" sch 80 from meter to
panel
which is technically equal to steel, then I'd use #2/0 copper THWN as
THHN
is not NEC compliant in wet locations and copper will last longer and
it's
easy to pull. You will however need a mortgage to buy it right now

RBM:

I like that idea a lot. A. smaller wire B. not depending on one-shot
inaccessible dope for corrosion resistance. Unfortunately the local
electric suppliers don't stock even Cu THWN that big as it would be a
rare sale at best ...there's mostly cable services around here, too.
Graybar might have it, but I don't know how small a piece they'd be
willing to sell. I will check tomorrow.

Of course, I'd still need to use cable from the meter to the
box...unless I could convince the inspector otherwise. Cu SE cable is
a completely mythical beast around here, even ore so than #2/0 Cu, and
if I'm going to use #4/0 Al for that I might as well use it for the
mast, as they both end up buried in the meter pan. Hmf. It is a
quandary.

Cordially yours:
Gerard P.