Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
[email protected] bubbabubbs@yahoo.com is offline

Default Q: In-sink-erator recommendation?

I am looking for a recommendation for an in-sink-erator. The one I
currently have is a Kenmore/Sears Model 175.60542:
3/4 HP, 8.1 Amp. This particular model may have been discontinued, and
the closest math is probably
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Can someone recommend a reliable brand, model? Quality/reliability is
of utmost importance to me.
What features or specs should I look for? HP, Amp ratings? Longest
warranty?

Is it an easy DIY job to replace an erator? Any fancy tools I will need
besides an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver?

BTW, the problem with my existing erator is that it starts leaking when
it's turned on - it leaks from somewhere around the top part of the
assembly near where the erator connects to the bottom of the sink. Once
it's turned off, the leak will stop after a couple of minutes, even
if the water tap is on.
I know that it's a hard Q to answer w/o being able to examine the
leak, but is that kind of leak even fixable (a washer to replace,
screws to tighten), or should I just buy a new erator? I don't know
how old this erator is, as we moved in to the house 5 mths ago. So I
don't know whether this model or Kenmore erators in general are junk,
or maybe mine is just dying of old age.

TIA for your advice.