Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname yourname is offline

Default 220 volt wiring question

I have been running this welder on a 50 amp breaker for at least 3
years. Never thrown a breaker. Welding aluminum I have duty cycled
out[welder quits, light comes on]

I personally would run it on the 50 amp with wire to match, unless you
need a long run of wire;nix that, a long run would give your voltage drop.

Wait, I'm lying, I just looked, it is a run of 10-3 sjo....extension
cord from the welding supply is 8 ga. Obviously it works...

BTW home centers usually quit at 60 amp breakers, and they start getting
pricey, unless it has changed. haven't look for a bit

wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:48:20 -0000,
(Chris
Lewis) wrote:

I perhaps wouldn't have been quite so confused if he hadn't said 100A -
it sounded more like the output current of a small welder

I agree. It had me scratching my head and I looked up the PDF on the
Lincoln site. Sure enough that is what it says, along with "per the
NEC" so I looked up the welder rules in 630.
Until I ran the numbers I had a hard time getting my head around it
too but that is what it says..