Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname yourname is offline

Default Ceramic Tile/ Grout question

All,

I have a large shower with 12+" ceramic tile on the floor and walls. The
tile was set over schluter[sp?] waterproofing and bright orange dimply
stuff. Quite state of th art 2 years ago, available at HD now.

The tile is designed to slope to the drain and it does, but the tile guy
didn't set it quite the way I wanted, and it as such the first tile
around the edge is steeper thant the 6 or 9 in the middle. This causes a
little water to remain in the grout lines till it evaporates. Hasn't
been a problem, but I have noticed that in these areas [and not
elsewhere] there are some 1/8-3/16 inch diameter voids in the grout. the
grout also has an overall spally feel, like a little bit or sand comes
up when you rub it with your finger, where it doesn't elsewhere. I have
some of the grout in the garage[packrat] and can effect somekind of
repair, but am wondering if there is a more permanent solution.

The tile guy said the grout 'didn't need' to be sealed. The grout bag
said you could so I did. Is it possible I didn't seal this area well?

My plan is to dig out the small holes and fill with new grout. I jsut
would like to do this once.

Comments?