Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default For whom the lathes turn. Musing about what and for whom weturn.

Many thanks for all your responses. They made me rethink the question:
That we turn primariIy for ourselves is a given, but forget that for now
_please. I should have asked if you turn more for other turner's
approval (not necessarily for their purchase) or for the general
public's acceptance? I know the lathes 'turn for thee', but the better
paraphrase here would have been; 'Ask not for whom the lathes turn,
they turn for other turners'. Well maybe so, but not always.

Lathes also turn for customers, family and friends. They must else there
would not be so many weed pots, candlesticks, oil lamps, little salad
bowls and all the other common items that are so often seen on the
shelves and tables of the public, but are seldom seen on the tables of
our instant galleries. Some do show up on the pic forums, but usually
only if unique or very well done, which raises another question.

I hear all the time that we should _always turn every object the very
best we can. Is turning out simple objects to the standard of public
acceptance and affordability doing the very best we can? I think it can
be. We all turn lots of these bread & butter items for our customers
and friends, but in our pic forums, clubs and instant galleries you
might not think so.

Are some of us beginning to feel a little guilty about serving bread &
butter even as we recognize that serving truffles
& caviar isn't always appropriate or even the best we can put on the
table. "Our
Best" is probably a "Movable Feast".

Of course, I'm not sure of what I'm trying to say. That's the beauty of
musing.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter