Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike Paulson Mike Paulson is offline

Default For whom the lathes turn. Musing about selling wood turnings.

My experience echoes Kevin's (hi Kev, long time, no see, buddy). I have
tried pretty much everything in woodturning at one time or another.
Sometimes when I come up with a line of items I am especially fond of and
they don't sell well, then I am disappointed because if they don't sell I
don't have an excuse to make more of them. Sometimes things will sell
well, but only if the price is too low to make it worth my while. On the
other hand, I don't make things I don't enjoy purely for the purpose of
making sales. Life's too short for that. So I have weeded out things
that don't sell and things I don't enjoy making and have ended up with is
a range of hollow forms, vessels, and weed pots that I enjoy making over
and over again on a continuing basis. That keeps me happy and also keeps
the sales coming in.

As for sales to other turners, the reports I get from my galleries are
that not often do other turners buy my work. More commonly, they come in,
study the pieces on display, and then go home and try to do it themselves.
And that's okay.

-mike paulson, fort collins, co