Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Question about mounting aeriels.

HI Simon

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:34:08 +0100, "Dark Angel"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message...
You probably know about this (apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck
eggs) but it's not quite as simple as just wiring the two aerials
together. If you're trying to get a stronger signal than you need to
combine the signal from the two aerials properly, and the spacing
between the two aerials is also important....

No it's not that, the 2 aeriels are for receiving 2 seperate regions, Yorks
and Central (I'm going to use a filtered combiner before you ask).

OK - you saw which way I was thinking g

Obviously I want to avoid the pole from poking between the elements on the
second aeriel, which is why I was proposing using the bottom bracket on the
side instead of underneath to stand it away from the pole.

On an aerial like this you don't really want anything metallic in the
same plane as the elements - so, in a way, mounting the thing
'normally' so that the aerial mast is at right angles to the elements
is better than doing what you propose.

Ideally you'd want _no_ extra metal within the aerial - but having it
at 90-degrees to the elements would be better than your plan.

The elements won't be between the pole, and by adjusting the U-bolt
accordingly the aerial will still be the right polarity.

What you say is true - but it'll still be wrong g

Best solution is some way to put them both on top of the mast, but
separated horizontally (a piece of tubing like a very shallow
'u'-shape - don't know what they're called g) you want to get the
two aerials as far apart as possible...

Hope this helps...

Adrian