Ed Huntress

Default Epoxy and machine building....

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Greg Dermer says...

Silane. Yeah, I noticed that. The mind reels. If he really means what

he
says, I hope he's a looong ways away from Portland Oregon.

-- Greg

For the rest: Silane is SiH4 if I'm correct. It's
a gas frequently used in semiconductor manufacture,
and is both toxic and pyrophoric, which is to say it
ignites spontaneous in the presence of oxygen.

The 'soot' is, of course, sand.

Ed the Anti-Chemist here, but silane treatments for glass fabric are simple
water-based rinses. They improve the bonding between organic and inorganic
materials. Fiberglass cloth intended for bonding into composites with epoxy
or polyester are usually treated with silane.

My guess is that it's extreme overkill for the application in question.

Ed Huntress