Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Screwing Down Backerboad for Tile... (Rant)

According to Al Bundy :
You don't screw it in. You nail it with galv roofing nails.

Your reference also mentioned screws.

Why wouldn't you use screws?

I use 2 1/2" #8 deck screws, no predrill. That may be overkill, but the
subfloors NEVER move, they wouldn't dare ;-)

Standard drywall screws are thin with shallow threads, and I think
too short. As such, under these sorts of stresses (eg: differential
joist movement), they can pull out.

I've seen 3/4" plywood floors done with 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" #10 "standard"
screws that can be (or have) popped out with relatively little difficulty.
Hence my preference for 2 1/2" deck screws. Better threads and longer
length.

Phillips heads are evil, and should be banned ;-)

Long live square head deck screws!

I wouldn't dream of using nails. Unless ring shanked. But screws
are better overall.

[My 12V dewalt is fully capable of taking a 3" #12 robertson/square
head and driving it all the way through a 2x4, head and all without
any predrilling. It only stops when it runs out of thread in contact
with the lumber - the shank - on the other side ;-).]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est