Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Help with painting metal railing?

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 01:37:22 GMT, "I Love Lucy"
wrote:

I think the other posters gave you good advice. Rather than multiple
coats of paint, they are still likely to chip, so my approach would be
to get as much of the old off as you can, go over the rusty areas with
steel wool, rinse well with hose and let dry, ...

Now that I disagree with. Getting water on it just lets it start to
rust (oxidize). Not a lot, but you don't want to start the process
before you prime it. Clean with a solvent (such as paint thinner) on
a rag.

Terry