Martin Whybrow

Default Epoxy and machine building....

"Richard Nienhuis" wrote in message
om...
I've been looking around the net for information on how epoxy/granite
machine bases are formulated. So far I have come up with very little.
I'm going to attempt to make a smallish mill with a somewhat homebrew
epoxy formula. If anyone knows anything about these sorts of things
feel free to speak up.

For the base material I'm using the folowing formula:

First I will use quartz rock etched with a moderately strong HCL
solution.
The stones will consist of 1/2 to 1 inch stones.
For fine filler I will try a mix of 90% quartz sand and 10% carbon
fiber.
All the agregates will be soaked in silane and dried before being used
as filler.

For the mold I will use varnished wood. The steel dovetails will be
set directly into the epoxy plum.

Some problems I have a
Where can I get 2 or 3 gallons of epoxy and enough hardener?
I need to find some cheap ground dovetails.

I am probably going to need to make a couple small test batches. If I
cure the epoxy under heat and vacuume is there anything I can use to
seal it to reduce water uptake?

Anything else anyone can think of?

Not exactly DIY, but Zanite http://www.zanite.com/ manufacture large items
from epoxy and silica (quartz).
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom