Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default For whom the lathes turn. Musing about selling wood turnings.

My mileage does seem to vary Mac. I sell through a store here in
Juneau, and I've more than paid for my shop. Most of my tools/machines
ere purchased after I started selling and I still have $ left over for
fishing gear! g I try to make what will sell, but I also try to make
them as well, and I make things I enjoy turning. Gotta keep it fun.

It varies from year to year too. Some years salad bowls practically
walk out the store by themselves. Other years, it'll be some other
item. Go figure.

Last month another turner did buy one of my items - a salad bowl I
think. He was up from California on a cruise ship. As far as I know
he's the only turner to ever buy something of mine, but I never meet my
customers since I don't do craft shows anymore.

S'later...

...Kevin

You're a lucky guy, Kevin!

I don't try very hard to sell my stuff yet, mostly friends and referrals, but
looking around the shop at several thousand bucks worth of tools, I don't even
want to figure how many bowls or whatever I'd have to sell to cover that..
assuming that wood and supplies were free, of course.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis