Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Electrical lube

Charlie Bress wrote:
Here's a different electrical question.

On my computer desk I have a table-top power distribution box that
lets me plug all the computer stuff into one central place.

While it has some claim as a surge suppressor, since I am in Florida
where lightning storms are the usual event during the summer, my
method of protection is to disconnect the distribution box from its
a.c. outlet. (The cable modem uses a quick connect on the cable line
coming into it.)
The problem arises because the wall receptacle that is being used is
inconveniently behind the very heavy desk. To make things easier, I
cut the power cord to the distribution box at desk-top level and
rejoin the ends using an in-line plug and socket so that it is easy
to disconnect from the line. The connectors I used are a good quality
pair made by Hubbell.
The problem: It has become increasingly difficult to mate or open
these connectors. They have been in this use for more than five years.

The male ends do not show any signs of distortion.

Is there an appropriate lubricant?

I could just buy another set of connectors, but a lube job would be a
lot simpler. Is this a big box item? If I have to go to a real
electrical supply house, it is cheaper and quicker to replace the
set. At $3 a gallon travelling very far for a small item doesn't make
sense

Go the a real electric supply house, not a DIY store and get a double
pull double through switch and use that. One flip of the switch and it is
all save.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit