Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan K Dan K is offline

Default persistent dryer squeak

Ours was the set screw on the main motor pully. Even though there was a
hole in the motor shaft for the set screw to seat in, every year or so it
worked loose again. Screamed like a banchi. Finally cut an access hole
thru the sheet metal in the back so I could get an alen wrench in there
easily. That dryer is gone now...RIP...I don't miss it.

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
About six months ago we hired someone to fix the squeak in our dryer, a
Frigidaire FDE7977ESO. They replaced front glides, rear bearing, and
lower felt.

Now a squeak has returned, only it's much, much, much louder. It's
ear-splitting. When it's squeaking I can' t be in the same room without
ear plugs. It seems to be coming from the rear of the drum.

Could the rear bearing be shot already, in six months? Is there
anything else I should check?

The noise occurs once per revolution of the drum.

Probably the idler pulley. Do a google on it. Best way to confirm is to
open it up and start turning the belt. If it's from the pulley you will
be able to hear the squeal coming from the pulley.

The pulley keeps the proper tension on the belt and they commonly go
out.

here's a link that shows you various configerations of the pulley/belt.
They are a pretty simple fix for DIY. Parts about $35 unless they have
gone up significantly since the last one I bought about four years ago.