Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Acrylic bath scuff-marks

Bruce Hall wrote:
Phil Anthropist wrote:

I can't believe that anyone would recommend using fine grade wet-or-dry
abrasive on an acrylic bath. Try Googling for acrylic bath cleaning and
acrylic bath scuff marks.

It really does work, Phil. I tried it out on the old acrylic bath
(still awaiting a trip to the dump) after the Natural Philosopher
posted his comment. I deliberately scored the surface with a stone and
then went about it with the wet and dry and the Brasso. First, it
dulled over and the scratches disappeared. Then I carried on with the
Brasso and plenty of elbow. After a while, the gloss finish came back,
exactly as I was told by Armitage Shanks.

Bruce

Anyone who has ever prepped up a car for sale knows it works.

As long as you have a color layer of some depth - gel coat, paint etc,
first you have to cut out the scratches. Fine grit wet';n'dry dies that.
Then you end up with a slight depression full of micros scratches. Yoiu
take those out with and even finer abrasive - T-cut usually, I fond
brasso a bit too coarse.

With a car, you them apply a wax, which coveres in the ultra micro
scratches and which you can buff up to a sheen.