Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Total house amp/electirc question

Bob wrote:
Well I have one larger AC not sure of the AMPs but its one of the larger
window models. What I did was convert an old 220 line that was under that
window to 110. Changed the breaker and the box on the wall. So it has its
own direct line with nothing else attached. What happens is my backup ups
system trigger and the lights dim every time the AC kicks in. Since that
has its own circuit I figured it was the main power that was not handling
the current. I also notice the same affects when the microwave is used and
other appliances kick in that are on diffent lines.

I took a GFI tester and tested all my outlets including the one I converted
and they are said good except for one that had a bad ground but I don't use
that outlet.

Not sure what to do next.

I'd try connecting that air conditioner to the other leg in your panel
(move the breaker down one slot usually does this) in case the total
load is imbalanced and the grounded service conductor (neutral) is doing
too much of the work.

I'm probably wrong, but it's an easy test.

Bob