Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Total house amp/electirc question

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone explain what the amp ratting on electric breaker box means. I
think mine is 100 AMP. Is that a limitation of the box or the power
coming in to my box? What does it take to upgrade to get more ampage? My
house is full of electronics including 2 fridges, 1 freezer, 2 AC units,
plus tons of DJ / computer equipment. I am always seeing voltage drops
and I am afraid its just the entire power system is inadequate. What is
involved in upgrading my system?

The limit is set by the size of the wire feeding your house, and the main
circuit breaker. For most houses, 100A is adequate and has been for many
years. Central Air being one of the larger uses, followed by an electric
range, then a dryer.

You think 100Amps is adequate for most homes with AC, dryer, electric
stove and all the other typical loads we have packed into our homes
today?

..