Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Total house amp/electirc question

Bob wrote:
Can someone explain what the amp ratting on electric breaker box
means. I think mine is 100 AMP. Is that a limitation of the box or
the power coming in to my box? What does it take to upgrade to get
more ampage? My house is full of electronics including 2 fridges, 1
freezer, 2 AC units, plus tons of DJ / computer equipment. I am
always seeing voltage drops and I am afraid its just the entire power
system is inadequate. What is involved in upgrading my system?

When do you see voltage drops? When some big appliance, like A/C
kicks in? Keep in mind that it is not unusual, especially in hot weather
when you and your neighbors on the same transformer, are all using a lot of
power. The problem me be outside your home.

What is the rated amps for those two A/C units?

I wound not be too quick to upgrade your power. To do that you will
need a new panel and likely a new drop from the electric companies
transformer. It can be expensive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit