Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Townsend Scott Townsend is offline

Default 220 volt wiring question

I'm not an electrician, but have wired a home or few.

Kind of odd that it would want 10ga for 100amps. 10ga is only rated for
30amps. If your tig was going to pull 100 amps, I'm pretty sure that the
10ga wire would not support it.

I dont have my County Code book with me, but it went something like this:
An Electric Oven/Range needs a 6ga wire at 70amps for its needs
I think just the Electric Oven can get by on a #10 at 30amps, Same with an
AC
HiSpeed Electric Dryer needs a #8 @ 50 Amps.

For your Questions:
1) When you say A Dual , I think you just mean a 220v Breaker. Where the 2
breakers are switched with the one lever, So you would need a 'dual' 100.
The 'Dual' Allows the breaker to hit L1 and L2 of the Bus Bars. (Both Hots,
that's where the 220 comes from)
This is different from the Dual Lever, single form factor breaker. This
will allow two 120v connections in a single breaker slot (your panel has to
be keyed to accept it)
So you could get a Quad Dual, where the Inside and outside are switched
together across L1 & L2, so you could get two 220v circuits in 2 breaker
spaces.

2) You should be able to add it to the Existing panel on its own Circuit.
Addend a Separate panel would be unnecessary.

3) Lugs are typically used for the one. Is your house panel fed from a Main
panel elsewhere? Does the main Panel have more room for additional circuits?
My House has a Main Meter Panel with 42 Circuit capacity & the Meter Main. I
use it for all the 220v and for feeding the house Sub Panel and the Garage
Sub Panel. So it has two 100amp breakers feeding the Sub Panels, 50amp for
the Oven, 30amp for the Dryer and 30amp for the AC.

Hope that helps

Scott-

"dlgeis" wrote in message

I just bought a Lincoln Square Wave Tig 175 Pro welder.

The wiring/fuse recomendations are 10 ga/100 amp.

I have a 200 amp home service and a 200 amp panel with two empty
breaker slots and two unused 220 v circuits. The unused circuits each
have double 30 amp breakers. My home electrical needs are modest so I
don't see a max capacity problem.

1. Does a 220v circuit with a double 50 amp breaker = 100 amp circuit
or do I need to find a double 100 amp breaker?

2. Do I have to give a modern welder its own box wired directly to a
meter lug to prevent problems with sensitive electrical equipment in my
home or can I get by with just adding it to my existing box.

3. If I need to separate it can I do so by connecting the feed wires to
the same lugs used on the incoming side of my home panel. ie two wires
connected to each lug above the main breaker and then feed to another
small 100 amp panel with its own switch and breaker? Or are the lugs
designed to secure only one wire.

Thanks

Doug

--