Marv Soloff

Default O.T. follow up on Mr. Gunner's comment

Still, with the amount of bombast, steam, farting, etc the Committee
generated, McCarthy accomplished virtually nothing. In fact, the
kingpin, the leader of all the "atomic spies" went to England where,
after a discreet period of time and much good physics he was granted a
knighthood. Let's face it, Gunner, McCarthy was a clown and a dangerous
one at that. The Conservatives are doing themselves a disservice even
being remotely associated with Joe McCarthy. Better you should use
Ronald Reagan as a role model (I didn't know... nobody told me...I
wasn't there...etc.).

Regards,

Marv

Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:24:48 GMT, Marv Soloff
wrote:

Sure he was right. At that time, saying someone was a Communist or had
Communist leanings was like saying they were left-handed or that the
Pope was Catholic. McCarthy was an asshole, a scumbag, a (insert slur of
your choice here). He did much, much damage to this country and to many,
many innocent people. For what - two very low level fellow travelers?
Is this the model of a Right wing, Fellow Ammurican, Conservative hero?
C'mon, Gunner, you know better than that.
Regards,

Marv

Marv..you seem to miss the point that while I agree with much of your
description of Joe M....he was correct and no..in those times..being a
communist was not the same as being left handed..else claiming someone
was..would not have resulted in many innocent people being harmed.
Correct?

We were in the intitial stages of the Cold War..when bombers were
actually poised. The Rosenthals had been executed..etc etc.

Because the moles were well placed..reflects on the inability to ferret
them out..not that his claims were surious.

Gunner

Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:09:40 GMT, Marv Soloff
wrote:

According to a recent BBC/NOVA program, the Soviets admitted to some 325
"agents" working in the US Government during the McCarthy probe years.
McCarthy nailed exactly two (count 'em). He could have done better by
posting the names and throwing darts at the lists.

Regards,

Marv

Yup. But he was indeed correct..that there were Commies in the wood
pile, was he not?

Gunner

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
om...

Recent releases of Soviet documents have shown that there were indeed
a great number of clandistine Communist activists among those
blacklisted. Jumping Joe McCarthy was an oportunistic clod..but as it
turns out, he was indeed correct in far more cases than previously
accepted. People who did provide aid, information etc to the
Soviets. Do the websearches on this fascinating topic. Its rather
moot now, as the USSR is kaput..but those individuals in many cases
are still alive.

SNIP

" ..The world has gone crazy. Guess I'm showing my age...
I think it dates from when we started looking at virtues
as funny. It's embarrassing to speak of honor, integrity,
bravery, patriotism, 'doing the right thing', charity,
fairness. You have Seinfeld making cowardice an acceptable
choice; our politicians changing positions of honor with
every poll; we laugh at servicemen and patriotic fervor; we
accept corruption in our police and bias in our judges; we
kill our children, and wonder why they have no respect for
Life. We deny children their childhood and innocence- and
then we denigrate being a Man, as opposed to a 'person'. We
*assume* that anyone with a weapon will use it against his
fellowman- if only he has the chance. Nah; in our agitation
to keep the State out of the church business, we've
destroyed our value system and replaced it with *nothing*.
Turns my stomach- " Chas , rec.knives

1. Lie