Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger R Roger R is offline

Default Dishwasher motor connections

What SHOULD happen is that the red and blue wire in the motor go directly
to the mains, and the mains should go to the white wire VIA the capacitor.

I can't figure out how that can be achieved with what you have there.

Hmm the one sitting in front of me here, also looks odd.looks like it also
has red and blue to go to the capacitor....possibly the power should go
into the white and blue, with the motor connected as you show it.

This is how I thought it was supposed to work

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/sep01/sep01.html

The link shows my intial thoughts, but it doesn't appear possible to be like
that at all.

Thing is... if the white is for the start winding, then surely it should be
at least as thick or possibly thicker as the others as the starting current
will be higher than the run current. But in this case the white wire is a
much thinner wire. Presumably the white links to some control board, could
there be another small capacitor there to give the phase advance for the
start.

I forgot to mention the ohmeter and voltmeter readings, perhaps because I
appear to have mislaid the sheet. Never the less as I recall:
240V applied to red and blue, white is approx at 110V.

Red to blue around 180 ohms, white to red or blue around half that.
I recollect there was small bias to one side, for example white to red
95 ohms and white to blue 85 ohms.

Roger