Posted to alt.home.repair
JimL JimL is offline

Default Central Air Struggling

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:43:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"JimL" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:48:44 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Just after I moved into my (used) home, I had the AC unit cleaned &
checked
over by a company I've been happy with for 22 years. It got a clean bill
of
health. This was in September, though, so there was no really good way to
watch it do its thing for any length of time. I'm finding that on a very
hot
day (92 outside today), the system runs almost constantly to keep the
house
at 76. If I set it at 77, it cycles on for an hour, off for two, and the
house is comfortable. I don't NEED that extra degree, but I'm still
curious:
For a given house, and a particular AC unit, is there usually a point
where
it just won't do more? Or, does this mean that the previous owners didn't
have the right unit installed?

By the way, the attic is vented & insulated perfectly.

Sound like your system is designed perfectly.

The downside is that it can't quite maintain on the hottest days.

The upside is that it keeps the house dry and comfortable with
minimum energy usage.

Well, it's actually comfortable at 77-78, especially since I work at home,
so I'm sitting at a desk all day. If you're not up & moving around, 70 can
feel pretty chilly. I supplement the situation with a slow fan in the
office, too, so as the temp creeps up (before the AC comes on), it doesn't
feel stagnant.

I'm just curious, though.

I added a small high eer window unit to save money and liked it so
much, I mounted it in the wall of the room where I spend most of my
time. Huge savings and Huge comfort factor.