Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Ants, Lots of Ants

wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:58:27 GMT, Norminn
wrote:

Down in Florida, it never fails that if I keep a box of cookies or
coffee cake on the counter, ants will be in after them. A drop of
sugary liquid spilled on the counter will attract ants, even when it is dry.

Where are you in Florida. I virtually never see sugar ants. They all
eat protiens of some sort. Sugar doesn't seen to attract them at all.

West Coast. It's long been my habit to keep cake, coffee cake, bread in
the fridge. Most people I know, if they keep sweet stuff on hand, keep
it in the fridge. Roaches are another concern. I rarely see ants in
the house = perhaps three times in 8 years here? Trash pickup is twice
a week, everywhere here. Nobody uses paper sacks for groceries, or
keeps newspapers and paper sacks around because roaches roost in them.
They even like the glue on envelopes = there were roaches in my mailbox
last week )

About the same frequency I had them in the house up north, but that
seemed always to be spring. During one very dry spell = a real drought
- I saw really strange insect behavior. Couldn't have an open drink
outdoors or hornets and bees would be after it. Had breakfast at an
outdoor cafe during the drought, and small bees of some kind kept coming
at my eyes! Had to almost eat with my eyes closed. Wierd!