Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Is Knob-and-Tube *Always* Dangerous?

In article . com,
" wrote:

if your defending K&T please state if your home has that wiring.....

I just returned from my daughter and son-in-law's "new" home in Davenport,
Iowa. Within the lathe-and-plaster walls on the two, finished floors, it is
ALL knob-and-tube wiring. It never occurred (until now) to ask if they had
trouble getting insurance. I assume they did NOT as they now have a nice
mortgage.

All exposed wiring in the basement has been replaced. When the house's
service panel was upgraded, the main and second-floor circuits (knob-and-tube)
were placed on 20-amp breakers. This was, and probably still is, compliant
with NEC.

Knob-and-tube wiring may not be very good but, in its original form, it is NOT
the hazard some claim.

To answer the Subject above, K&T is NOT always dangerous. People with their
over-sized fuses, pennies and half-assed taps ARE.
--

JR