Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Help with painting metal railing?

john wrote:
Hello.. Could someone recommend the best way for me to paint this metal
railing by my front door ? I have a picture of it here -

http://www.newjerseyweather.com/metal-railing.jpg

As you can see the paint is already crumbling off from last year's
coating... Yes, I actually had it looking good last year.

I asked my dad and other friends...and most people seem to have the same
problem... Its so hard to keep a good coating of paint on these types of
railing.. Its such a pain in the butt to paint too. I used a brush last
year.

Any recommendations on types of paint and methods to use would be much
appreciated.

thanks much,

John

Yes. It looks like the paint just isn't sticking
to the metal. I suggest that you spray paint with
Krylon, Rustoleum would be an alternative. But
you must use a rust resistant undercoat; use the
rust colored undercoat not the gray color. Spray
painting the rail should be quick and easy,
preparation to paint takes longer.

1. Remove the loose pain, steel brush probably.
Wet sand lightly with 220 or 320 grit wet/dry
paper to assure remaining paint edges are
feathered. Let dry thoroughly (like wipe off the
water with a towel and set in the sun for a couple
of hours and let rest a day.

2. Cover everything you don't want painted by
taping newspaper with 6 inch overlaps and out at
least 1-1/2 feet from the surface to be painted.

3. Get a backboard of cardboard not less than 2'
x 3'.

4. Spray undercoat lightly from 9-12 inches
keeping the backboard directly on the other side
of what you are painting (the board will pick up
most of the overspray). Spray from two directions
then spray as needed to fill in that is why you
must spray lightly.

5. Give it another light coat of undercoat when
the first has dried (read the can for recoat time)
to assure that all surfaces are covered.

6. Spray with your top coat, same technique, two
light coats assuring that all surfaces are covered.

I have had such painted metal last for 10 plus
years through rain (way less than the east coast)
sun (lots) and snow (lots). Good luck
your arm, can nozzle parallel with

Final note: you could probably remove the railing
to paint it.