Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas Kendrick Thomas Kendrick is offline

Default Question about Operation of Trane XR-11 A/C Unit

Call a repairman to check out the system.
While you wait, get an inexpensive outdoor thermometer at the nearest
hardware store. Using that thermometer, determine what the condo temp
is early in the morning after sunrise. That will be your coolest
temperature. Your unit should be able to reduce that reading by about
20 degrees.
The no-output-air sounds like leaking ductwork. If you turn on the A/C
around sunrise in the morning, you should be able to maintain a
comfortable temperature all day. Expect about 1 degree-per-hour drop
in temperature. The outside fan should be running and you should feel
a noticeable amount of heat being ejected.

On 25 Jul 2006 14:58:20 -0700, wrote:

I moved into a newly renovated condo about 5 months ago in Boston. It
has an XR-11 A/C Unit for central air. About two weeks ago, I finally
turned it on, and though some air was being sucked through the air
filter, there was no noticable air coming out of the vents. I left the
A/C running for more than 6 hours, and there was no change in the
indoor temp.

When I talked to the seller, he said that it takes days to cool the
place down when you first turn on the A/C. However, I noticed that the
fan outside does not turn when I turn the A/C on, but he said that this
was normal. I have checked all of the circuit breakers and all of them
are fine.

Is this normal? Is there something wrong with my A/C unit?

Please help me. I am at my wit's end and my wife and I want our A/C
running.

thanks,
Susheem