Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Monk goof

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:26:28 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 15:56:23 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

[snip]

One interesting thing was when I hit the "test" button with the power

off,
it "clicked" and broke the connection between "line" and "load."

I suppose there's some power stored somewhere. Does this happen when
power is disconnected for an hour?

Oh, it's just a spring!

When you "reset" you cock a spring.

So the "test" button just releases a spring? That's something a ground
fault wouldn't be able to do, so the "test' button is not really
useful for testing the GFCI.

When there is no power applied the test button does cause (by mechanical
action) the unit to trip. (At least in the unit I experimented with.)

I would hope that when power is applied the test function works "properly."

If you have more than one or two GFCIs in your place you should get a GFCI
"tester" which provides a real ground fault. These things are just a
"circuit tester" (3 neon lamps) and a push button.

Frankly, in spite of all the GFCIs I have in my place, I don't believe any
have even functioned in a manner that would have prevented my getting a
shock. They have tripped but not beause human flesh came between HOT and
GROUND.