Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Property Survey

"Joshua Putnam" wrote in message
.net...
In article ,
says...

If you took out a mortgage when you bought the house the bank would have
insisted on a new survey. Start with your mortgage holder and if they
don't
have a copy, they can tell you where you can get a copy of yours.

That's a custom that varies greatly by state. I'm not aware of any
lender in Washington that requires a survey for home financing. Even
raw land can be financed without a new survey.

The last survey of my property was when the city was first platted,
just under 100 years ago. Neighboring properties have been surveyed
and those surveys left enough monuments and records to reliably
locate the property lines.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Be careful -- just in our short street, several errors have been discovered
in recent surveys, done at different times for different owners, which
resulted in one homeowner (who built right up to the then-surveyed setback)
finding out after-the-fact that his house was actually 1 1/2 feet into the
setback. What this will do in the future for a resale is problematic. At
the least he'll have to try to get a variance approved -- Regards --