Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown PipeDown is offline

Default Possibly faulty seal beneath the flush valve in a 1935 antique Toilet

I was thinking you would simply take a tube of silicone caulk and lay a bead
right onto the sealing surface (with the tank empty and reasonably dry).
Getting it flat WRT the flapper valve would be the hard part and all I can
suggest is to use a very thin bead and not try and build up a thick ring.
Perhaps you can grade the wet silicone with a straight edge. At least you
can peel it off it dosen't work, even try a few times if it seems close.
Can't say how long it would last.

"T. T." wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Pipedown, thanks so much for your reply, your idea is very
interesting. Could you please explain a little bit more about how to
built my own new valve seat using silicone RTV and how to make sure to
have a very even edge? Thanks so much!!

PipeDown wrote:

Hopefully the floor is tiled up to the pipe and the toilet sits on top of
the tile. In which case just clean the floor and caulk to the new shape.
With a toilet that old, the floor may have been done any number of ways.
Try flapper valves with different shapes and material. Silicone or
rubber
might work better than the other. You might be able to build your own
new
valve seat using silicone RTV but you will have to have a very even edge.