Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

Default Screwing Down Backerboad for Tile... (Rant)

Scott Townsend wrote:
So is it me, or is there a trick to putting down the backer board for tile?

Those 'self counter-sinking' screws are worthless as far as trying to self
counter-sinking. To get them flush we ended up predrilling holes for the
Screw shaft and a bigger counter -sink hole for the screw head.

Is that how its done? Without pre-drilling we could not get the Screws to
Counter-sink.

I've tried with both regular cement board and hardybacker board.

Thanks,
Scott

Hmm - I just screw it down w/o pre-drilling. I have used an 18V
Milwaukee drill and more recently a Makita 18VLTX impact driver. I used
the backer board screws. I drive them flush or slightly below the
surface. This leaves a bit of ground up, displaced, material on the
surface. I knock that off with a 6" putty knife and sweep the floor
before I begin the tile job. I prefer the screws with square drive.